Ship maneuverability: full-scale trials of colombian Navy Riverine Support Patrol Vessel
Methodology and results of full scale maneuvering trials for Riverine Support Patrol Vessel “RSPV”, built by COTECMAR for the Colombian Navy are presented. This ship is equipped with a “Pump – Jet” propulsion system and the hull corresponds to a wide-hull with a high Beam – Draft ratio (B/T=9.5). Tests were based on the results of simulation of turning diameters obtained from TRIBON M3˝ design software, applying techniques of Design of Experiments “DOE”, to rationalize the number of runs in different conditions of water depth, ship speed, and rudder angle. Results validate the excellent performance of this class of ship and show that turning diameter and other maneuvering characteristics improve with decreasing water depth.
. CARREÑO, J.E. Proyecto de Tesis Doctoral. 2006. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Navales.
. DELEFORTRIE, G. and VANTORRE, M. Modeling the Maneuvering Behavior of Container Carriers in Shallow Water. Journal of Ship Research, No. 4, Vol. 51, December 2007, p. 287–296.
. DIRECTIVA DEL PARLAMENTO EUROPEO Y DEL CONSEJO. Directiva Nº 2006 C/166-E/0. 2006.
. GUEDES, C. FRANCISCO, R.A. MOREIRA, L and LARANJINHA, M. Full-Scale Measurements of the Maneuvering Capabilities of Fast Patrol Vessels, Argos Class. Marine technology, No 1, Vol 41, January 2004, p.7-16.
. IMO. Interim Standards for Ship Maneuverability, Resolution A.751 (18), Nov 1993.
. IMO. Explanatory Notes to the Interim Standards for Ship Maneuverability. Resolution MSC/Circ.644, June 1994.
. IMO. Standard for Ship Maneuverability. Resolution MSC. 137(76), 2002.
. ISLAM, M. Combined use of dimensional analysis and modern experimental design methodologies in hydrodynamics experiments. Ocean Engineering 36, (2009), p. 237–247.
. ITTC MANOEUVRING COMMITTEE. Recommended Procedures. Full Scale Measurements Maneuverability, Full scale Maneuvering Trials Procedure. 2002.
. ITTC MANOEUVRING COMMITTEE. Final Report and Recommendations to the 25th ITTC. 2008.
. KHATTAB, Omar. Multiple regression analysis of the hydrodynamic drifttives for manoeuvring equations. British Ship Research Association, December 1984.
. KIJIMA, K. LEE, S. FURUKAWA, Y and NAKIRI, Y. Ship Manoeuvring Characteristics as Function of Ship Form in Shallow Water. In: Maritime Institute. International Conference on Marine Simulation and Ship Maneuverability MARSIM. June 2006.
. MONTGOMERY, D. C. Diseño y análisis de experimentos, Segunda Edición, Limusa Wiley. 2004.
. SIERRA, E.Y. Diseño y construcción de un equipo portátil que integre los elementos utilizados para las pruebas de mar y estudio de incertidumbre de las medidas, basado en normas y estándares internacionales. Cartagena de indias D.T. y C.2008. Trabajo de grado (Ingeniera Electrónica). UTB. Facultad de ingeniería eléctrica y electrónica.
. SNAME. Guide for Sea Trials. Technical and Research Bulletin N° 3-47, 1989.
. THE SPECIAL COMMITTEE ON TRIALS AND MONITORING. Final report and recommendations to the 22nd ITTC. 2005.
. VILLEGAS, J.E. Herramienta de análisis de videos para apoyar los procesos de recopilación de datos en pruebas de mar. Cartagena de Indias, Julio de 2011.
. YOSHIMURA, Y and SAKURAI, H. Mathematical Model for the Manoeuvring Ship Motion in Shallow Water (3rd Report: Manoeuvrability of a Twin-propeller Twinrudder ship). KSNAJ, Vol 211, March 1988, p.115-126.
Copyright (c) 2011 Ciencia y tecnología de buques
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode