Holistic ship design optimization: merchant and naval ships
The present paper provides a brief introduction to a holistic approach to ship design optimization, defines the generic ship design optimization problem, and demonstrates its solution by using advanced optimization techniques for the computer-aided generation, exploration, and selection of optimal designs. It discusses proposed methods on the basis of some typical ship design optimization problems of cargo and naval ships related to multiple objectives, leading to improved and partly innovative design features with respect to ships’ economy, cargo carrying capacity, safety, survivability, comfort, required powering, environmental protection, or combat strength, as applicable.
ANDREWS D., PAWLING R., The Impact of Simulation on Preliminary Ship Design, 10th Int. Marine Design Conference (IMDC'09), Vol.1, Trondheim, May 2009.
ANDREWS, D. (COODINATOR), PAPANIKOLAOU, A., ERICHSEN, S. AND VASUDEVAN, S., State of the art report on design methodology, Proc. 10th Int. Marine Design Conference-IMDC09, Trondheim, May 2009.
BOULOUGOURIS E, PAPANIKOLAOU A., Hull Form Optimization of a High-Speed Wave Piercing Monohull, Proc. 9th Int. Marine Design Conference-IMDC06, Ann Arbor- Michigan, May 2006.
BOULOUGOURIS, E., PAPANIKOLAOU, A., Optimisation of the Survivability of Naval Ships by Genetic Algorithms, Proc. 3rd Int. Conference on Computer and IT Applications in the Maritime Industries (COMPIT'04), Siguënza, Spain, May 2004.
BOULOUGOURIS E. K., PAPANIKOLAOU A. AND ZARAPHONITIS G., Optimisation of Arrangements of Ro-Ro Passenger Ships with Genetic Algorithms. Ship Technology Research, Verlag Heinrich Söding, 51:3, pags. 99-105, 2004.
BOULOUGOURIS, E., PAPANIKOLAOU, A., Energy Efficiency Parametric Design Tool in the frame of Holistic Ship Design Optimization, 10th Int. Marine Design Conference (IMDC'09), Vol. 1, Trondheim, May 2009.
BRETT PO, BOULOUGOURIS E, HORGEN R, KONOVESSIS D, OESTVIK I, MERMIRIS G, PAPANIKOLAOU A, VASSALOS D. A Methodology for the Logistics-Based Ship Design”, Proc. 9th Int. Marine Design Conference-IMDC06, Ann Arbor-Michigan, May 2006.
FLOWMART (2000-2003), Fast Low Wash Maritime Transportation. EU funded project, 5th Framework Programme, Contract number G3RD-CT 1999-00013.
GKOHARI, D., PAPANIKOLAOU, A., Optimization of Ship design within an Integrated Multimodal Transport System, Journal of Ship Production-SNAME, Vol. 26, 1, pp. 47-59, Feb. 2010, ISBN 8756-1417, ISSN: 1542-0469.
HURWITZ, M. , Plans and Status of the CREATE-SHIPS Project: Enabling Required Naval Warship Performance Throughout the Acquisition Lifecycle, 13th Annual Systems Engineering Conference, San Diego, CA, 27 October 2010.
INTERNATIONAL MARITIME ORGANIZATION (IMO), Prevention of Air Pollution from Ships. Report of the Working Group on Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Ships. MEPC 58/ WP. 8, October 2008.
INTERNATIONAL NAVAL SAFETY ASSOCIATION (INSA), Naval Ship Code, NATO-ANEP-77 Edition 2, July 2010, http:// www.navalshipcode.org/.
ISSC 09-COMMITTEE V.5 (2009), Naval Ship Design, 17th Int. Ship And Offshore Structures Congress (ISSC 09), 16-21 August 2009, Seoul, Korea.
LEVANDER, K., Innovative Ship Design – Can innovative ships be designed in a methodological way, Proc. 8th Int. Marine Design Conference –IMDC03, Athens, May 2003.
LOGBASED (2004-2007), Logistics Based Design, EU funded project, 6th Framework Programme, Contract number TST3- CT-2003-001708.
NEU W.L. HUGHES O. MASON W.H. NI S. CHEN Y. GANESAN V. LIN Z. TUMMA S., A Prototype Tool for Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Ships, Proc. 9th Congress of the Int. Maritime Association of the Mediterranean (IMAM'00), April 2000, Naples, Italy.
NOWACKI, H., Developments in Marine Design Methodology: Roots, Results and Future, Proc. 10th International Marine Design Conference, IMDC09, Trondheim, May 2009.
PAPANIKOLAOU A (ed). Risk-based Ship Design – Methods, Tools and Applications. SPRINGER Publishers, ISBN 987-3-540- 89041-6, 2009c.
PAPANIKOLAOU A. (coordinator), Andersen P, Kristensen HO, Levander K, Riska K, Singer D, Vassalos D. State of the Art Design for X. Proc. 10th Int. Marine Design Conference- IMDC09, Trondheim, May 2009a.
PAPANIKOLAOU, A.; ZARAPHONITIS G., Computer Program NEWDRIFT v.7, Internal Report, NTUA, Greece, 2001.
PAPANIKOLAOU, A., Holistic ship design optimization. Journal Computer-Aided Design (2009), doi:10.1016/j.cad.2009.07.002, 2009b.
PAPANIKOLAOU, A., "Computer-Aided Preliminary Design of a High-Speed SWATH Passenger/Car Ferry," Proc. of the 4th IMSDC '91 Conference, Kobe, May 1991.
PAPANIKOLAOU, A., P. KAKLIS, C. KOSKINAS AND D. SPANOS, "Hydrodynamic Optimisation of Fast Displacement Catamarans," Proc. 2lst Int. Symposium of Naval Hydrodynamics, ONR' 96, Trondheim, June 1996.
PAPANIKOLAOU, A., ZARAPHONITIS, G., BOULOUGOURIS, E., LANGBECKER, U., MATHO, S., SAMES, P., Multi-Objective Optimization of Oil Tanker Design, Journal Marine Science and Technology, Springer Verlag, Tokyo, 2010.
POP&C (2004-2007), Pollution Prevention and Control, EU funded project, 6th Framework Programme, Contract No. FP6-PLT-506193.
RINA WARSHIP TECHNOLOGY, (2011), New safety standard will continue to evolve, The Royal Institute of Naval Architects, pp. 26-28, January 2011.
SAFEDOR (2005-2009) Integrated Project on Design, Operation and Regulation for Safety. EU-funded project, 6th Framework Programme, contract TIP4-CT-2005-516278, www.safedor.org
SKOUPAS, S., ZARAPHONITIS, G., PAPANIKOLAOU, A., Parametric Design and Optimization of High-Speed, twin- Hull Ro-Ro Passenger Vessels, Proc. 10th International Marine Design Conference, IMDC09, Trondheim, May 2009.
VRSHIP-ROPAX2000 (2001-2005), A Virtual Environment for Life-Cycle Design of Ship Systems, EU funded project, 5th Framework Programme, Contract Number G3RDCT- 2001-00506.
ZARAPHONITIS G, PAPANIKOLAOU A, MOURKOYIANNIS D. Hull Form Optimization of High Speed Vessels with Respect to Wash and Powering. Proc. 8th Int. Marine Design Conference-IMDC03, Athens, May 2003.
Copyright (c) 2011 Ciencia y tecnología de buques
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors who publish in this Journal certify that:
- The work submitted for publication in The Ship Science and Technology journal, was written by the author, given that its content is the product of his/her direct intellectual contribution.
- All data and references to material already published are duly identified with their respective credits and are included in the bibliographic notes and quotations highlighted as such.
- All materials submitted for publication are completely free of copyrights; consequently, the author accepts responsibility for any lawsuit or claim related with Intellectual Property Rights thereof, Exonerating of responsibility to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- In the event that the article is chosen for publication by The Ship Science and Technology journal, the author state that he/she totally transfers reproduction rights of such to The Science and Technology for the Development of Naval, Maritime, and Riverine Industry Corporation, COTECMAR.
- The authors retain the copyright and transfer to COTECMAR the right of publication and reproduction of the work which will be simultaneously subject to the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) , which allows the license to copy, distribute, display and represent the work and to make derivative works as long as it recognizes and cites the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.
- For more information about the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC -BY) and his use and scope, please visit the following web page https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode